Hustle

+




So I'm working on inking the 7th page of my Popgun story. That's eating the majority of my time, thus the thin posting. The second image is an in-progress shot of some of the pages.

I remember growing up my dad always talked about the "side hustles" that him and other workers at his job would have. My main focus right now is illustration and comics. But when you got the bills coming in you have to do something. So over the past couple of months I've done a few projects with the great folks at Push LLC studio. I usually draw up quick illustrations to get one of their ideas across to a potential client, or I do basic story boards for the same purpose. It's not exactly what I want to be doing, but I try to go into it with an open mind and I usually end up enjoying myself. The first image is a set of the "storyboards" I did yesterday (I use quotations since they only need a limited number of boards, so they jump around a little ) for one of their pitches. It's also good practice, since the turnarounds are very tight...i.e. one day or one night. So you have to make decisions and not dance around camera angles, composition etc. Just go for it.

In my early years in illustration I used to gripe about boring projects. But then I realized that the best illustrators take boring subjects and make them extremely interesting. I love how Sam Weber constantly uses beasts and fantasy elements in his illustrations for business magazines. We as artists are so lucky to be making pictures, anything is at our fingertips. I really don't think there can be a boring project. It's all what you make out of it!!

take care,
-francis

12 comments:

EL Gato Negro said...

oh man love the shot off the old place I miss that nasty kitchen hahaha looking good sir!!!

Pop-Monkey said...

I've had to deal with a few of the "boring" jobs myself, but the boring jobs are much easier when you are at least working for folks who know their business and know how to communicate their needs and feedback to the artist. The stuff that makes you want to hack your hands off at the wrist are the nickle and dime freelance gigs from people who really have no artistic sensibilities and cannot communicate effectively.

Glad to hear you're doing well and keepin' up the hustle!

Andreas Schuster said...

thx for posting, you were successful in cheering me up =)

Haylee said...

It's coming along great! Keep hustlin' away soldier!

Anonymous said...

As always, it looks great! EMV

samacleod said...

Those are some gorgeous boards. Love your work.

Erin McGuire said...

"In my early years in illustration I used to gripe about boring projects. But then I realized that the best illustrators take boring subjects and make them extremely interesting."

I think it takes most people years to figure this out. Kudos :]

Also, I can't wait to see that stuff up top finished, lookin good!

Eric Braddock said...

Well put, man. Well put indeed.

Gerald de Dios said...

Project looks good - Your lighting is insane! Those were DAMN good words of advice at the end.

Unknown said...

THose pages look AMAZING!

niki@heynikiniki.com said...

sheldon says:

"fuck popgun. go to heavy metal"

Anonymous said...

i've been slow on my comic and will be putting it in vol. 4 also. glad to be in the book with you - these pages look badass!

fuck heavy metal! roll with popgun - it is the new blood.